Sedgwick Aqueduct was built in 1818 by William Crosley, following original designs by John Rennie to carry the elevated section of the Lancaster Kendal Canal over the road between Sedgwick and Natland. It is an unusual example of a skewed bridge - most canal bridges were at right angles to the road that they cross, to simplify design and minimise materials used. A skew bridge avoids the need to put a bend in the road and was state of the art in bridge building at the time. To avoid weakness across the bridge a winding course of stones was used, which, at the same time, created the smallest span
It now a Grade II listed Scheduled Ancient Monument. and described by the National Heritage List for England as: a being constructed from squared coursed limestone with limestone ashlar dressings, with limestone string and copings to parapet. There is a tunnel over the roadway, at angle to direction of Canal, with a segmental arched opening and rusticated voussoirs and keystone, flanked by rusticated tapering pilasters in the curved in section. the blank panel above the tunnel was probably intended for inscription. The large curved retaining walls has a flight of stone steps on the north west side.
After dewatering in 1955, the canal at Sedgwick was in District Council ownership and became derilict. They planned to demolish the aqueduct to improve the road between Natland and Levens, but it was saved after a campaign by local residents and canal enthusiasts. It now owned by the Canal and Rivers Trust.